Prosecutors have announced that Cristiano Ronaldo will not face criminal charges over an alleged rape in Las Vegas.

The former Real Madrid star was accused by Kathryn Mayorga who claimed that he attacked her in a Sin City suite in 2009.

The Juventus star had vehemently denied the 35-year-old’s accusations.

However, a new twist surfaced on Monday, as the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said it had made a decision not to prosecute as “the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.”

The prosecutors explained their decision thus: “On June 13, 2009, a female victim (‘V’) placed a call to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and reported that she had been the victim of sexual assault.

“Members of law enforcement responded to her location to take a crime report. Police transported V to the hospital so that a sexual assault examination could be conducted.”

“A short time later, sexual assault detectives arrived at the hospital and made contact with V.

“Although she knew who the person was who assaulted her, V refused to identify him or disclose where the crime occurred.

“As a result, the police were unable to follow investigative protocols for sexual assault cases or to conduct any meaningful investigation. Without knowing the identity of the perpetrator or the location of the crime, detectives were unable to search for and impound vital forensic evidence.

“In addition, video evidence, showing interactions between the victim and perpetrator before and after the alleged crime, was lost. The criminal investigation was closed.”

“V and Cristiano Ronaldo, through their respective attorneys, eventually reached a civil settlement related to this matter in 2010. For the next eight years, law enforcement heard nothing more from V regarding the crime or the perpetrator.”

“On August 28, 2018, V contacted the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, asking that her sexual assault investigation be reopened, naming Cristiano Ronaldo as the offender. In spite of the passage of over nine years, Metro investigated her allegations.”

“A Request for Prosecution was submitted to the District Attorney’s Office on July 8, 2019. Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming.”

Mayorga accused Cristiano Ronaldo of sexually assaulting her on June 13, 2009, as he partied in Las Veginnocence and that she was forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement under duress which is why she could not bring up charges against him.

Once the ex-model filed her claim, the Portugal international took to Instagram to protest his innocence.

“What they said today: Fake, fake news,” he said in a video posted on Instagram.

“They want to promote by my name. It’s normal. They want to be famous,” he continued.

“It’s part of the job. I’m a happy man and all good.”

Later, the former Manchester United forward said in a statement, “I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.

“Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense.

“My clear conscious will thereby allow me to await with tranquillity the results of any and all investigations.”

Ronaldo’s long-time lawyer has reportedly not issued a comment but a source close to the footballer told the Mirror: “It’s a huge relief to Cristiano.

“He’s had this hanging over him for months and of course it has played on his mind.

“He has maintained his innocence from day one.

“Cristiano is grateful to all those who have supported throughout this difficult time.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here